« GDC 2009 Art Sessions | Main | Assassin's Creed's Functional Story¹ »

May 10, 2009

Finally Did It

Well, I finally broke down and bought myself a 360, after buying myself a big TV to go with it. I've been playing a little Assassin's Creed, some Braid and Schizoid, and will no doubt dip into the Fable 2 and Halo 3 that came with the Elite bundle I picked up.

A few questions for my readers. a) What's the best out there for the system? b) What are your gamer tags? If you'd rather not post to the comments, send me an invite/request or whatever at brettdouville -- inventive gamertag, I know, but I couldn't get the one I wanted and was tired of futzing with the thing at that point.

Cheers.

Posted by Brett Douville at May 10, 2009 08:53 PM

Comments

(If I skip over any good games, it's because I'm assuming you've played many games on PC already.)

Best 360 games II (The Revenge):

Crackdown was a fun game. I look at it as a spiritual successor to the Spidey games in a way, minus the webslinging, but plus an oddly fun run/jump Hulk-like mechanic. (Collecting 'orbs' is oddly addictive.)

Dead Rising. Zombies. 'Nuff said. But, I'll say more. The achievements are some of the most memorable I've played in a game, and this is coming from someone who generally hates achievements. Sidenote: Otis is Evil. Also, Frank, you're in a mall, just pick up a BlueTooth earpiece buddy.

If you enjoy the GTA games, IV was a solid try at a dramatic version with some excellent fun to be had, but it was marred by some unfortunate writing toward the end of the game, imo. That said, it was still worth a play-through for me.

If you enjoy the GTA games, Saint's Row 2 was much more in the wacky vein of the others, turned up to eleven. Neverminding the driving mechanic I liked more than GTA's, it also had a great system of 'territory control' that I felt worked awesomely in framing the plot. With some some refining, I'd love to see this turned into a more free-form style of narrative advancement than what's usually used in games. And the game's great fun, too.

Mass Effect's item management is pure hell. It can't be worded differently; sell useless items early and often. That said, it's really a fun game, and they made an excellent artistic choice in using resources to do some better visual filtering, rather than pointlessly upping polys.

(Also, I'm well. How are you, sir?)

Posted by: Jeffool at August 4, 2009 08:04 AM

Check out Dead Space and Need for Speed: Most Wanted. Also, for mixed company, Scene It! is a good addition to the Xbox library.

Posted by: Adrian Stone at August 4, 2009 08:04 AM

These are all good suggestions. A few others:

Burnout Paradise (best casual racer on the platform, IMHO -- and not just becasue I'm friends with those guys)

Fable 2 is strong.

On the FPS side there's always Gears and Halo, which really are quite strong. And if I've got to pimp more EA stuff, Bad Company is worth looking at.

I tend to be a big fan of anything coming out of Ubisoft Montreal, so even a relatively weak offering like the lastest POP is decent and has some addictive collecting compulsions (AssCreed falls into this camp -- long after you've tired of it you'll be drawn to keep on playing, and it's worth it to get to the frustratingly enigmatic ending).

And of course I'm still playing a ton of an amazing little game called Fallout 3... oh, wait... ;-)

Next: buy a PS3 and start getting time in with Flower, LBP, Uncharted, KZ2, and -- if you have the intestinal fortitude for some maddening control decisions -- MGS4.

Posted by: Chris C. at August 4, 2009 08:05 AM

Also, if you enjoy old school beat'em-ups, then Marvel Ultimate Alliance was a blast to play through. I'm definitely looking forward to the sequel. My suggestion? Keep Deadpool at all times.

Posted by: Jeffool at August 4, 2009 08:05 AM

Thanks for all the great comments -- I'm plowing through Assassin's Creed right now (finally updated the sidebar for the first time in a while) and this is a great list of things to go to next after I've tracked down all the flags and wrung everything I can out of AC. I have a couple of blog post or two talking about that game.

I really would like to buy a PS3, largely for the exclusive developers I love so much -- Sucker Punch, Naughty Dog, and Team Ico. I've kind of decided that I'm going to wait for the next Team Ico game and then catch up with that platform.

Haven't figured out what I'll play next but I got the bundle with Fable 2 and so that'll probably get some play (I enjoyed the first tremendously). Crackdown is another I'm strongly considering. Beyond that, I'll be sure to at least dip into all of these games. Thanks!

Posted by: Brett Douville at August 4, 2009 08:05 AM