« New Sidebar Follows/Fellows | Main | I Need the Cape and the Cowl »

November 16, 2009

My IGDA Leadership Forum Presentation

Thanks to those who came out to listen to me talk on Friday at the 2009 IGDA Leadership Forum.

For those who couldn't make it, I've updated my slides (please right-click, Save Target As or equivalent for your browser) with notes.

Reminder -- you can compete to win a little something from me if you can identify the 4 programmers and 3 artists who appear in black and white in the talk. Simply send email to the address listed on the last slide, the names can appear in any order.

Posted by Brett Douville at November 16, 2009 09:24 PM

Comments

No luck downloading the file, Brett. "Not a valid ZIP archive" when downloaded from Firefox. IE can't even download it, I'm afraid.

Probably user error. Stupid Internet.

Posted by: Chris C. at November 16, 2009 10:21 PM

Weird! Both work for me. I recompressed it however and re-uploaded so give it a go.

Posted by: Brett Douville at November 16, 2009 10:47 PM

I'm using Chrome and no luck here either. :(

Posted by: Vernon H. at November 16, 2009 11:42 PM

Weird, you guys, works for me both at home and at work. Anyone else try it and fail or have it work?

Posted by: Brett Douville at November 17, 2009 09:13 AM

I just tried to download it in Chrome and it was broken. I switched to Firefox and it downloaded fine. Went back to Chrome, tried again and it downloaded fine. Mark as unable to repeat? :)

Posted by: Chris at November 17, 2009 08:19 PM

I finally came back to this and tried again. It's working now so whatever you did fixed it.

Nice talk, Brett. There's plenty of good advice in here, and reviewing it all certainly brought back memories.

Posted by: Chris C. at November 22, 2009 03:22 AM

Thanks Chris! I tried to work in something about carrying around a big axe... next talk for sure!

Posted by: Brett Douville at November 22, 2009 04:12 AM

LOL. I wonder where that axe is now? I think it's up in the attic. I should bring it down...

Posted by: Chris C. at November 22, 2009 06:43 PM

Excellent talk. I find it amazing that we have such similar opinions on the role of engineering departments even though we've never work at the same company at the same time. So weird.

Have you looked at the posibility of using the program Cruise by Thoughtworks (similar to Cruise Control, but different enough) to do your build pipelining / tracking? They can give you a lot of automation in terms of how, where, and when things are deployed in the build pipeline, and keep everyone informed of build progress. I've found it incredibly useful.

Posted by: Jeff at November 27, 2009 08:34 PM

Thanks Jeff! And thanks for the pointer about Cruise -- not at a point yet where I want to invest in our build systems (next year), but options will be good to have.

Posted by: Brett Douville at November 28, 2009 12:03 PM